I have been just a bit surprised, and pleased, by the response I’ve received to the Army afghan. There have been enough requests for a pattern that I thought I’d do a separate post on that topic.
Because the graph didn’t come out large enough to be anything more than a wall-hanging or a rug, I found a pattern at Crochet Pattern Central for a square that I thought would fit the Army theme. I settled on this six-inch square pattern and just did a few extra rounds using my chophook from Jimbo. I already knew I’d use a smaller version of the Star Overlay pattern by Chris Simon. I’ve used it before and I LOVE her patterns.
Once I settled on the squares, I made the side panels first, and single crocheted them (with right sides facing, so the bumpy edge is on the back) to the graph. Then I made the top and bottom panels and, again, single crocheted them. Before crocheting the panels to the graph, I double crocheted around each to make sure I had straight edges to work with. Once the panels were attached, I bordered the ghan, first with a round of double crochet, then using front post double crochets every four stitches. The final piece of the border is reverse single crochet in the yellow because I thought it gave it a rope look.
I’m sorry I can’t provide any better of a pattern, but it’s really a do-it-yourself, learn-as-you-go- along, sort of project and this was my first time tackling graphing.